Friday, February 10, 2017

Sacred Space

A few years back [while in my midst of sleep depravation and confusion on being a new mum and loss of sense of self and wondering what on earth I'm doing], I attended a couple of Alex Falkiner's creative workshops. And somewhere in there Alex said something about everyone being an artist, and how we all need to play creatively sometimes. This resonated. It isn't a waste of time. It doesn't need to be elite. It just is. It is what I enjoy.

Last night I attended a workshop with Emily Besser. Rodge was teasing me, how frivolous, a pom-pom jewellery workshop! But it was exactly what I needed. Some moments of frivolity.

Emily gave us all a sheet of instructions, and read us this wonderful quote –

"SACRED SPACE is an absolute necessity for anybody today. You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day where you don't know what was in the newspapers this morning, you don't know who your friends are, you don't know what you owe anybody, you don't know what anybody owes you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative incubation. At first you may find nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred place and use it, something eventually will happen." Joseph Campbell.

So, slowly, now that the fog of newborns has lifted (well and truly really), I'm working on finding this space. Sometimes its on a Sunday with Bettina, sometimes its in a frivolous workshop. But I'm getting there.

2 comments:

  1. I think of that Roald Dahl quote.. 'a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men'. It's very true.. and something I've been thinking of recently but applied to music. too often we place all the value in doing something on the end product, when a lot of the time, the reason for doing something creative, playing a song, is for the enjoyment of the process and the end product is secondary. At least, that's how music feels to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that Roald Dahl quote is great (I have it on a mug!) I think it can be applied to so many different things, for me it is making art and embroidery, but sometimes it is gardening or cooking or even some forms of exercise. And yes it is so little about the product and more about the space + process. So lovely that you have that in your music (and I imagine your beautiful poetry and your photography too) x

      Delete