Thursday, July 21, 2016

Destruction. Or creation. Either way.




The whole beauty of watercolours is the transparency. At the moment I rarely paint a single wash on the page. I'd much rather layer and layer and layer and experiment until the paper almost starts to pill (pretty much what every art teacher will tell you not to do). So after I spent hours painting the patterns in this beautiful indian textile – layering colours to create a vividness and glow, I found myself still unsatisfied with the final result. So I mixed it up and added a wash over the top. The softer feel, is a little more reminiscent of a textile. At least in my mind. Plus it was something I was itching to do. Now that I've done it, I'm uncertain as to whether it was a creative or a destructive move. There's a fine line between the two, is there not?

I'll let them dry for a bit, wait a little while and see if I should add some more layers later. Time to pack up and pick the kids up from school.

(Top two photos of 'before' the wash, bottom three photos are shots of 'after')

No comments:

Post a Comment