Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Flourless Orange Cake

So, total disclaimer: this post has been sitting in my drafts, for about, say three-ish YEARS or so. Give or take. Was going to just delete it, but then I thought, why not just post it? Not much other activity happening on this blog anyways. And with today being the first day of Autumn, and orange season to be starting soon, figured today was a good a day as any.

Original draft below!:


Isn't that the most gorgeous cake? Now, I'm totally cheating here, as I didn't bake this one, my sister Amy did, but I thought I might share it here anyway.

This recipe was given to us by our Aunt Louise, just as the Raspberry and Pear Cake recipe was. It is superbly moist, incredibly dense and rich, and great with a cup of tea.

2 whole oranges
185g almond meal
200g sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cointreau or triple sec (optional - I never use it because, well we don't have any in our cupboards and it seems a bit weird to buy it just for a cake).
6 eggs lightly beaten

Place oranges in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook until soft (about 20 minutes). Drain, cool, cut into quarters and remove seeds. Process in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add remaining ingredeants, except eggs, and pulse until just combined. Add eggs and process until just blended. Pour into a greased and lined 25cm springform pan and bake at 190 C for 45 minutes or until firm to touch. Cool in pan, before turning out.


2 comments:

  1. yum! I have been looking for a recipe which uses whole oranges for a while, I might have to give this one a try! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it turns out beautifully for you G (I'm sure it will, as you are such an accomplished cook). x

      Delete