Friday, March 18, 2016

A slow-stitched envelope



I've shown you unfinished photos of this project before. Well, now, many moons later, it is finished. A kantha-inspired envelope, currently housing my kindle - although it may be gifted to my dad at some stage (as originally intended). I may also make a ceramic bead or button for the latch, but it doesn't feel necessary - and may even detract from its current lovely softness.

And below - pinned to my noticeboard, the original envelope, which I completed (in a quick couple of hours) at one of Alex Falkiner's inspiring workshops.

Hope everyone has a magical weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Utterly beautiful Imogen
    (glad you're continuing to post) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange, as soon as I declared this blog over - I got all inspired and have started posting again. (A bit like if you say you're dieting, then all you want to eat is chocolate.)

      Delete
  2. Oh, really pretty colours you've chosen. I have a bag made out of similarly woven fabric, (found it in India) and it's quite incredible to think of the work that goes into stitching it all by hand. Satisfying to complete a project, too! Hope you are having a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greens are always my favourite. Turquoises layered with grassy greens and bits of forest. I have a little bit of Indian kantha fabric and it is so incredibly fine and detailed. Nothing like my clunky stitching here. x

      Delete
    2. Oh, that fabric is gorgeous. Loving this idea! I had a kantha quilt that I loved to bits... I've always wanted to make some harem pants for the girls but I'm absolutely horrendous at sewing! Maybe some easy things to start practicing again ;) happy sunday xo

      Delete
    3. It's an old linen tea towel that had gotten holey, but was loved, so obviously had to be repurposed (: . Harem pants would be fabulous - I had some I loved as a child, they're so comfy. I pretty horrendous at sewing with a machine to a pattern though. It's on my 'to learn properly one day' list. Right now I do just easy hand sewn things, with bits of embroidery. x

      Delete