Monday, November 17, 2014

The Unfinished.

That's just the contents of my bag of embroidery. Not including paintings or to do lists. I think it's time I started completing some things.

clockwise from top left (in case you're wondering) - a gocco print snail on calico, partially embroidered; a prints charming paisley panel, partially embroidered; my embroidery threads; a tin of felt and fabric scraps; some paper pieced diamonds; umbrella prints scraps; a partially embroidered gocco print mermaid, for my niece Ottilie; two kantha stitched envelopes, one complete, one in progress, inspired by an Alex Falkiner workshop; and one incomplete panel from Alex Falkiner's drawing with thread workshop. Whew!

5 comments:

  1. I would happily put any one these beauties on my wall in their current "unfinished" state, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks, thanks Heidi!

      (ps I got Osc to paint my face the other day, just to see what the result would be. Was feeling inspired by your recent post).

      Delete
    2. oooh! I would love to see a photo of it!

      Delete
  2. So gorgeous. I've always wanted to take up embroidery. Where did you learn? Self-taught?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trishie. Yep, self taught. My mum's always sewn, so I think it rubbed off on me.

      If you want to start, I'd recommend either getting a kit. There are heaps of lovely ones on etsy, I've noticed these lovelies on pinterest - https://www.etsy.com/shop/kirikipress?ref=l2-shopheader-name. Or you could check out Prints Charming, because it is run by some lovely Aussie ladies, but I don't think their online store is open right now - http://printscharming.typepad.com/prints_charming/embroidery/.

      If you just want to doodle stitches, then this is a fabulous site for tutorials, http://www.embroidery.rocksea.org/stitch/

      Bet you weren't expecting that much info! Obvs I'm a little passionate about it all. Good luck and enjoy. x

      Delete