Thursday, October 2, 2014

They are children.

I know I'm not the only one who has read (and re-read) Emma Watson's UN speech. It is simple, concise and a little bit genius. And it holds so much truth.

I believe that to fight gender inequality, we need to start with our children and how we are raising them. Yes, we all want considerate and happy children. And that is the key word - they are children before they are boys and girls. Which is why I often find myself so frustrated by the divisions made (think toy aisles in department stores). The excuses given (think 'boys will be boys'). The gender ideals we place on them from such a young age. They are children. We need to let them be children, first and foremost.

An organisation I fully support, in its work to fight the gendered marketing of toys to children is Play Unlimited. If you are interested, go take a look at their website or like their fb page.

3 comments:

  1. I work at a three year old kindergarten Imogen and it's always the little boys frocked up as princesses, fairies, etc (and lovingly carrying the baby dolls around too for that matter). It cracks me up (the little girls seem to avoid "home corner" and anything else related to domesticity like the plague. Interesting?!) Last week one of them (a rather chubby little thing) squeezed himself into a ladybird tutu. You should have seen him checking himself out in the mirror! he thought he looked beautiful - he told me this actually, so I know ;) Gender inequality doesn't exist at our kindy that's for sure! (and nor should it)

    On another note, thank-you for your lovely comment on my last post. I'm glad you like my kookaburra - that makes two of us anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. Too cute, the little ladybug boy!

      Yet toys marketed to boys (not all, but many) often seem to be high energy almost violent (think action figures / ninja turtles / fast cars / guns). I think kids start to be more aware of gender expectations as they get older ... and sadly start to shun the innocent dress-ups.

      Delete
  2. Amen. I think, in my heart, that many cultures cling to the theory of vast gender differences out of a fear that they might have to do some of the heavy work always doled out to the other gender. You can see it in past & current history with different races as well as genders. The crazy thing is if we all allowed for the fact that we are all equal then everyone's load would be lifted and everyone would have the freedom to fly....Allowing for another to learn to fly in no way diminishes the ability for you to learn to fly as well... Thanks Imogen for bringing up this great topic for discussion!

    ReplyDelete