Thursday, March 27, 2014

Some little felt shoes



My mum's friend bought this absolutely gorgeous felt slipper pattern in Holland. As soon as I saw the little duck design, I knew I had to try and make a pair. The translation was a little tricky to follow and the original pattern called for multiple layers (I imagine a necessity in those cold European winters), but I cheated and didn't even line mine.

They were definitely trial and error, I've never made anything quite so fiddly with felt like this. ... as you can see I started blanket stitching around the first bird, then realised it was a bit tricky with such tiny pieces, filled in with some crude stitches before settling on a kind of applique. I originally made them entirely by hand, but then I reinforced around the base with some machine stitching.

Now that I've made the pattern, I have so many different ideas for little felt slippers floating around in my head. Its a little exciting.

Oh, and they look adorable on Iris, I have my fingers crossed that it will actually get cold enough soon (maybe round easter) so she can start wearing them.


11 comments:

  1. Oh! These are so so so lovely Im! Your handiwork is so beautiful. I would love to try this pattern xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. I tried to find the paper copy of the pattern that I had, so I could scan and email it to you, but alas, it seems to have gone missing. A similar base pattern online can be found here – http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/Booties.html

      I've also been eyeing big little's beautiful designs for awhile – link on the side – she sells patterns on etsy.

      x

      Delete
  2. Adorable indeed! How sweet these are. Perfect for little feet come Easter. You've done a lovely job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, aren't you a clever clogs?! So amazingly cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable ... and so clever ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are so cute Im. I can see you starting to make them for the whole family! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BEL xxxxxxxxxxxxxox !!

      I promise, I will call you one day.

      ps my dad has requested some.

      Delete
  6. These are brilliant-- I would love to tottle around in the winter in a pair of these myself! I'll pary for cold for you and you pray for hot for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello lovely, oh it's been a while since i popped over here but i have been entranced by your growing children, that stunning mexican jelly cake and oh my goodness these stunning felt shoes, do your talents know no bounds???? amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ridiculously adorable! i love these : )
    how sweet are all of your little stitches!

    ReplyDelete