Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Calligraphy








I've been promising myself that I'll start doing my silly little creative bits and pieces again. Everyday, I've been saying to myself, this evening, once the children are in bed, I'll pull out that project I've been meaning to finish. Then, when that time rolls around – when Oscar and Nora are quiet and the kitchen is tidy – I either collapse in front of a screen or lie down with Iris and feed her to sleep, generally falling asleep myself in the process.

This week my mother-in-law returned from a month in Uruguay and goodness was I happy to see her!* Today she took Oscar and Nora to her place, so I organised to head to Tess' house. My other sis Aym and her new baby Tillie joined us, we ate a delicious lunch (thanks Tess), settled the babes, boiled the kettle and attempted to become calligraphers.**

I was a little impatient. My page of practice strokes (the messy one with the blotches) completely shows that. I've learnt that it is an artform that must be done slowly and with care.

*Although we have had a good month – Mabelle's absence meant that I simply spent an awful lot more time with my long suffering mum and sisters.

**Tess owns this beautiful book.

11 comments:

  1. Nice to have some time out and do something for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, nourishing and beautiful thing to do, so much fun. Here's to more little snippets like that. The sheets with calligraphy look stunning, perfect works of art. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved calligraphy. So happy to see you found some time (with a little help). Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so hard to find the time. I'm not sure how you manage with four!

      Delete
  4. Love that photo of Iris sound asleep. So sweet and peaceful, your little angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always look so sweet and peaceful when they are asleep!

      Delete
  5. Oh Im! I just love how you and your sisters get together for things like this; creating, eating, enjoying life :) I am amazed at how you are even able to consider being creative with all THREE of your lovelies; so don't be heard on yourself for falling asleep at night xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel very lucky to have sisters, especially at the moment, as we all live in the same city and current circumstances mean we are all available for midweek get togethers. x

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a wonderful time practising galligraphy. About 30 years ago I was into it for a little while. Actually I have just bought my son a $5 set from Kmart for Christmas. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these photos Imogen. Baby Tillie, sigh, you are soooo sweet. I'm happy for you that you had some creative time and it is definitely not 'silly' it is important and valuable. Xx

    ReplyDelete