Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The story of Imelda


As a child I sucked my thumb. My mum used to sneak into my bedroom at night and pull it out of my mouth. Eventually, after a dentist appointment, my parents decided to give me a 'reward' if I stopped. What did I want more than anything (besides a trip to disneyland)? A porcelain doll.

So, my mum, being the talented person that she is, rather than heading to the toy store, booked herself into a course, and made me a porcelain doll by hand. Cast the porcelain in a mould. Painted the tiny rosebud lips, eyelashes and fingernails. Sewed the beautiful (now very faded) apricot dress and cream bloomers. Placed a crown of roses in her hair. Eventually she also made one for each of my sisters. Each doll unique, with different features.

I named my doll Imelda, because she could fit in a shoebox bed, after 'The Story of Imelda, Who Was Small'. Last week, while visiting my parents, I spotted Imelda resting in a cabinet. Now, as a mum myself, I have so much more appreciation for all the effort and thought that my mum went to, creating heirloom dolls for each of her daughters.


4 comments:

  1. oh my, this is such a precious doll. what a story and what an amazing mum. lucky you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how special. Reading this post has made my day. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lovely ... your Mum is precious ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is just gorgeous, what a beautiful keepsake by a very talented mother.
    x

    ReplyDelete