Friday, November 22, 2013

Our backyard

I'm pretty sure my blog is deceiving. If you've popped in here a couple of times, you'd know I love flowers and plants, and could have imagined that I have a beautiful garden surrounding my messy house. This is not so. Our yard is the biggest mess of all. Totally unsafe for my children with lead-filled dirt, old rusty nails and inexplicable bits of junk and rubbish. Even the hills hoist is broken, with only two sides to hang clothes from. All of this is overrun by weeds and surrounded by horrendous brown colourbond fencing.

Last week Rodge picked up all the bricks out the back and stacked them neatly down the side of our house. Literally thousands of bricks. It was a mammoth task. Next week, we are starting some major yard renovating and I couldn't be more excited. My uncle is a landscape architect and has drawn us up some truly wonderful plans. Eventually we will have veggie patches and fruit trees, a proper parrilla (uruguayan bbq) for Rodge to cook his beloved asado on and of course a passionfruit vine. One day it'll be seriously beautiful.

ps These photos don't have some strange filter added to them, they were taken a few weeks ago on that very smokey Wednesday, when the sky turned an ominous shade of orange.

9 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful adventure you'll have! Yes lots of work but when you're sipping tea watching your babies play around the vegie patch it will be all worth it. Hope your weekend is lovely (and productive!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for sharing - your garden is already so much nicer than ours... So easy to crop out the bad bits! Good luck with the makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glancing at those photos, I realised it looks pretty nice, especially with the nz christmas bush in bloom – even when I'm trying to show the rubbish, I crop out the ugliest bits! I suppose I like pretty photos.

      Delete
  3. oh I don't know....looks like kiddy heaven. we inherited a few hundred bricks when we moved into our place too....a brick stack was created and it still stands today! 5 years later.......ive grown rather attached to it....as sad as that is. happy landscaping (very exciting!)....hooray for talented uncles.
    Al x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember loving the pile of bricks at my neighbours when I was a child, perfect for climbing. I suppose, if the bricks stay they'll be a fabulous (albeit slightly dangerous) playground.

      Delete
  4. Know how you feel! We're also doing a backyard reno this weekend. After years of having a big dog our yard is a complete mess - hardly any grass left and nothing un-peed on. Sadly we said goodbye to our dog a few weeks ago. The only upside of losing our dog being that at least we'll have a yard that's safe for Olive to play in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope your backyard renovations go well and you create a lovely space for Olive. (:

      Delete
  5. How exciting! Mmmm un asado...making me hungry! Sounds like a perfect combination with the productive trees and vege patch. :-) melania

    ReplyDelete