Friday, October 25, 2013

Three. The chaos.


It's chaotic. Three kids in three years. Well almost three years, Lady Iris was born ten days after Oscar's third birthday but I give myself a little leeway when people ask the age gaps.

I'm one of the mums with oodles of help. Seriously OODLES. My mum visits at least weekly and helps with gymbaroo. My sister has been dropping by regularly, as well as helping with swimming lessons. My mother-in-law is currently visiting family in Uruguay, but when she is in town, she takes both Oscar and Nora for an entire day, every week. Rodge is generally home in time for dinner and will help with bath and bedtimes. I know I'm lucky. I have no complaints.

But still sometimes, the house is a complete mess; the rug is splattered with yoghurt and toast crusts, toys seem to dominate every room, dishes are piled on the benchtop, rubbish bins need emptying, clean folded washing covers the piano and dirty washing dominates the laundry. Sometimes all my three children are screaming at once and you know you need to take a breath and work through each issue one at a time (naturally starting with the screaming children). Sometimes, even with oodles of help, being a stay at home mum to three young children can seem isolating and stressful.

This week I had one of those awful mornings. Big time. To cut a long story short – the breaking point came when at the swimming pool I'd realised I'd forgotten Nora's swimmers AND my wallet, so while attempting to buy a swim nappy so she could go to her lesson, I realised I couldn't. Then a beautiful, complete stranger approached me and offered to buy her a swim nappy. I may have started crying while thanking her for her kindness.

I haven't quite found my groove with three children. And I think it may take a little while just yet. But I send a HUGE, MASSIVE THANK YOU, to everyone that helps frazzled mums, directly and indirectly – including strangers at swimming pools. A kind word or action to a stressed mum can be a really, really wonderful gift!

ps. photos taken by my sister Tess. Yes, we're going for an evening walk, yes they are both barefoot. Tess has been posting heaps of lovely photos (including a recent gorgeous shot of my niece Ottilie) on her instagram here (or search instagram for celestecebra).

8 comments:

  1. Completely agree. With all of it. 3 is much harder than I thought it would be. I really struggle most days but try not to be too hard on myself. I know I'll find a rhythm soon enough! I'm glad you've got family close by. I have my mum and MIL too, and it's a big help. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't mums wonderful? I don't know how people cope without family nearby.

      Delete
  2. hooray for kind strangers!... all I could think was wow Imogen gets out of the house with 3 kids!!!...superstar!. ive got 2 and its a mission most days. im lucky to have lots of help too....bless them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shux Allison. I don't feel like a superstar!

      Delete
  3. Im, I ADORE YOU.

    Shit. I'm crying reading this. bloody hell it is HARD and CHAOS and a wee bit depressing some days (i've been having some of those). Mine are 4 years apart and I still can't cope AND I have heaps of help too. Oh God bless the helpers.

    For what it's worth, i know how you feel, I feel it too.

    so much odd, connected, virtual love and respect coming your way.

    xo em

    p.s I once had someone pay for my FULL grocery shop as I was heavily pregnant, had too ratty kids in the trolly and was card was declined at the check out. I was bawling, I repeat SOBBING when the lady behind me insisted on paying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I ADORE you right back.

      Can completely relate to your shopping experience. Completely.

      Delete
  4. p.s I love how your kids are shoeless and topless. Mine are always the same... but I must ask/... where is the snot and dirt on their faces? Just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's snot and dirt and vegemite there, photos can be deceptive!

      Delete