Monday, May 13, 2013

The Archibald Prize 2013




On Saturday morning my sister, mum, Nora and I made an impromptu trip to the art gallery to see The Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes.

My favourite portrait was Natasha Bieniek's Application, a self-portrait miniature. There is something about teensy tiny things I find so precious!

I must say, I'm more drawn to landscapes, so I loved pretty much EVERYTHING in the Wynne Prize. And while wandering through the Sulman, I found myself wishing Oscar* was there, as I'm sure he would have been asking a billion questions and 'whys?'

The absolute highlight however, was the new Young Archie competition, so much fun seeing the imaginative artworks of children capturing their loved ones. Particularly adored 6 year old Teddy Kidd's my mother and baby Chloe because she would sit still and 11 year Paris Jolly's my grandpa and Claudia. Totally delightful.

*Oscar enjoyed seeing pre-booked tickets to Peter Pan on the big screen with his Papa instead.

All photos taken by Tess whose irregularly updated tumblr is here.

Apologies for my comfy pregnancy uniform of leggings, birks, oversized shirt and bulge disguising scarf! This is what I look like pretty much everyday.

6 comments:

  1. That may be the cutest spotty cardi I have ever seen. Nora is adorable!

    P.S. I was thinking about how lovely your outfit was! What a brilliant purple that scarfe is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee-Anne (: It is the cutest spotty cardi, bought on sale from Seed.

      ps I get a little self-conscious about wearing leggings so much, but they're just so easy when your waist is expanding!

      Delete
  2. What are these apologies for Im, you look fabulous in that outfit... leggings, colourful scarves, birkenstocks - you can't go wrong! And so lovely to get a glimpse of the art gallery; I can't wait to take Reu there one day soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teeny tiny always captures me too. In fact miniatures have always held a fascination for me. Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! The Young Archie collection just blew my mind away! It's amazing to see what these little people can do. I think I'll have to take Sunny along. I must admit I haven't yet taken her to a gallery. Would love to see how she would take it all in! And for the record you pregnancy 'uniform' looks great! I could only wear my havaianas from 6 months onward as they were the only shoe/thong that fit due to A LOT of water retention!

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gallery is fun with littlies, and I'm sure your Sunny would love it. I think the Archibald is almost finished for this year, so maybe get there early to escape the crowds.

      Delete