Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The worst mum award goes too ...

Just when you're starting to feel good at being a mum. When you've had multiple days that tick all the boxes – creativity, communication, social activity, healthy food, successful quiet time, lots of running round and exploring, nights with sleep – that is when a seemingly little misdemeanour by a 2 year old can undo it all.

This morning, I put the little lady down for an early nap. I stocked the little man up with a bowl of strawberries, a dvd and a sippy cup of milk, normally enough to keep him enthralled for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and I hopped in the shower. As I was washing the conditioner out of my hair I heard a slightly alarming thump. Upon exiting the shower, it was the smell that told me all was not as it should be. The overwhelming smell of nail polish.

I walk out to see Oscar's favourite blanket with a telltale Oscar shaped lump crouching beneath it. I lift the blanket up to see it coated in purple and blue nailpolish, nailpolish that spills onto the floorboards and covers the majority of Oscar's foot.

Oscar looks at me seriously, "I'm just painting my toes." Sigh. He'd climbed into my wardrobe and discovered my nailpolish collection.

I know it could have been worse. Yet, every time something like this happens, I feel irresponsible, ashamed, alarmed, guilty. I think to myself, why didn't I shower last night? Because we all know a two and a half year old needs constant supervision. Sometimes, you just can't quite do it and that's when the bad moments happen. In those ten unsupervised minutes. And you feel like the worst mum ever.

ps you'd think I'd learn, I've had similar incidents involving blueberries and carpet, broken jewelry, baby wipes, handcream, flour, textas and the couch ... 

Naked Oscar jumping off the couch after eating a few too many easter eggs.

11 comments:

  1. Oh no you're not a bad Mum at all, children love to be curious and test the boundaries at all ages, it's not easy and it can be unpredictable. We've had the spilt nail polish here too on my favourite, expensive to me doona I bought before children :( Texta drawing all over ones body in the dark when one should be sleeping, sneaking in the middle of the night into sibling rooms, mischief I think they love it. Take care don't feel bad at all it happens to us all. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably shouldn't say this, but it must have been funny waking up to your daughter covered in texta! At the same time, it would probably thrown my whole morning off kilter ... which is exactly what the nailpolish incident did.

      Delete
  2. I remember falling asleep on the couch out of exhaustion when I was pregnant with my 2nd & waking up to my toddler running around naked with shampoo in her hair having just gobbled who knows how many acidophilus vitamins ... I called poison control & they said -- she'll just have lots of goof bowel movements hahaha... Then I sobbed & felt like a horrible mother, so, needing some validation, I called my sister-in-laws asking if they'd ever done similar, & one said "Oh yes that's when so&so cut her hair" and the other "I;ve been so sick I laid on the couch all day and tossed cookies at my daughter for food"....We have all been there & those that say they haven't are either very forgetful or on stimulants haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I've thrown food at poor Oscar from the couch too. While he watches too much tv. Thank you. It makes me smile to hear I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  3. oh no the "thump!"....our most recent thump was fabric softener!...man that stuff takes a lot of water to remove. no doubt nail polish is in our future...you bad mother you...how dare you shower!!! lol....we are all worthy of that award!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabric softener, I dare say that will be in my future also. Oscar LOVES helping with the washing.

      The bad mum part comes not only from the fact that somehow I've left nailpolish within his dexterous reach and left him completely unsupervised, but also from my reaction. After cleaning Oscar off (the floor is still somewhat marked, I didn't make it that far), I just want to curl up with a book for the rest of the afternoon! Sometimes the little incidents just throw the whole day off balance.

      Delete
  4. Phew! I am so relieved the thump did not follow with a scream and a broken bone or bleeding anything! If it makes you feel any better, when my brother and I were children I decided to paint my nails I would have been 5 years of age my brother 3 years and i left the nail polish on the table where my brother got stuck into it unbeknownst to me. My mum found him just before he was about to put it on his eyelids thinking it was eyeshadow!! Hope the clean up was easy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am relieved it didn't follow with a broken bone either! I'm sure with an adventurous little boy that will be in our future (although I hope very much that it isn't).

      Thank goodness your mum walked in before the nailpolish became eyeshadow! I shudder at the thought and am so glad that Oscar only decided to paint his toes!

      The clean up is not yet complete – I wiped up as much as I could but there is still nailpolish on our floorboards and in our bathtub (where I unceremoniously dumped Oscar as soon as I found him). I think I have a bit of googling to do!

      Delete
  5. Don't be so hard on yourself! We've all had those moments!

    Once my daughter colored her entire face with thick black permanent marker and it wouldn't come off for weeks. (you could see more marker on her face than flesh) Yeah. And I have a million more stories like that. We all do. It's just a part of being a momma =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the moments you will remember and look back on and laugh. One day soon you will be able to have a shower without fear - Cohen is four now and I can trust him to stay out of mischief when I have a shower or put Emerson to bed. But I know it is all ahead of me again with Emerson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my own bad mother chronicles stored away, so many that are much worse than this (think dishwasher open, crawling baby, sharp paring knife - followed by a doctor's visit and a glued up thumb (not stitches, which somehow would have been worse).
    Be kind to yourself, this stuff happens to all of us and becomes fodder for lovely stories that will make you happy and wistful when he no longer needs your attention.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete