Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ornament Swap, the beginning


I'm joining in on Christina's handmade ornament swap for christmas.

I was finding this swap quite difficult. I found myself getting caught up on the details of who I am sending the ornament too. (It is anonymous, so I can't let you know). I've searched her blog. I've made notes. I've been trying to wrap my head around creating an ornament that fits in with her list of likes (which is very specific). I was feeling stuck.

I knew I just had to start and then the ideas might flow.

So I had a look around to see what I could use to make an ornament from. Bits and pieces I already own. My paper-piece diamond templates, of course! I decided to try and arrange them in a star format. I searched through my small fabric stash and pulled out an old pair of flannel pj pants. I cut out some diamonds, using a tree image on the pants. I started tacking them up and low and behold, they look a little like a snowflake. I think I like the direction where this is heading. I'm still not certain if it is right to send to my partner, but at least I've began making something. Now different ideas and possibilities are starting to appear.

ps as I've continued to sew, this decoration is reminding me of someone else entirely – it may have to be gifted to her and something else made for my partner in the swap.

20 comments:

  1. The star snowflake is looking amazing.
    I too was struggling with what to make. There's so much inspiration out there but it's hard deciding on something that your swap partner will hopefully love.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the possibilities seem endless. (Sometimes pinterest seems to hinder more than help!)

      Delete
  2. i love it im. i could imagine lots of these all colourful and pattern like hanging in a group together. you are very clever at crafting. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo ... that sounds lovely, a cluster of colourful, patterned stars, I better get my act together!

      Delete
  3. Great idea, love the fabric you chose and of course a star is perfect for an ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely so far Imogen! Even if this one ends up being for someone else I'm sure the next one will be well recieved by your swap partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet Imogen. Your partner in the swap is a lucky girl indeed. I know what you mean about getting caught up in the details. In the end I think we are all making something for fellow makers who will appreciate and no doubt love what we have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, that makes me feel much better. You are right. (I know I will love whatever I receive, simply because I know it will be handmade with care).

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your design! It's really gorgeous and different. It's great seeing what others are making, especially you clever girls who sew. I'm just knitting and crocheting and have been partnered up with VERY crafty people which is a bit intimidating. Your ornament is perfect :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! 'Clever girls that sew'. Sewing is quite simple compared to the crazy foreign language that is knitting and crocheting. Both are on my to be mastered list, yet I have never been able to get past some very wonky basics. I take my hat off to anyone that can knit.

      Delete
  7. aack! Thank you for kicking me into gear! I have bought the supplies that I need and I need to just do it already. I have felt the same concern over what the person's preferences are and how I'll cater to them. I got hung up in the store and almost spent my money on something I would want and I had to refocus on what I think they'd want. In the end though I was reminding myself similar to what Tracy was saying that it will be made from my heart and with loads of love so it will all work out! ooh- this is getting me excited to create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I think Tracy is pretty smart – made with love, so of course it will be well received. Looking forward to seeing your creation.

      Delete
  8. It looks lovely and I am sure it will be very well received. I am participating as well but haven't made a start yet! Must hop to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! You are very clever, I say. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow looks fabulous so far ! cant wait to see it finished.im sure she will love it .:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely Christmas ornament ... very pretty ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic! I'm sure whoever the recipient is will adore it. Such clever placement. Looking forward to see what else your crafty hands create! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue star snowflake is really really pretty. I'm sure she'll love whatever you send her. It's the thought that counts! (I admit to being a bit nervous also as this is my first swap.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks lovely and you obviously have spent some time fussy cutting your fabric. I hope your recipient appreciates the time it takes to match up your prints, lovely and pretty

    ReplyDelete