Friday, November 23, 2012

Flowers for Friday: Chamomile


I've been picking the flowers off our tiny new Chamomile bush all week. This afternoon I'll dry them, then I'll enjoy my very first small cup of homegrown Chamomile tea.

Steps for oven drying Chamomile:
Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Once hot turn it off.
Place rinsed and dried flowers on a lined baking tray.
Put flowers in off oven – leaving door slightly ajar.
Leave there for approximately four hours.

If the oven goes cold, remove the flowers, reheat the oven and repeat the process.

Should keep in a sealed jar for 6 months.

More detailed instructions on how to dry Chamomile can be found here.

7 comments:

  1. I think that chamomile flowers are so pretty - thanks for this method of drying them. My flatmate dries them just in the sun and then uses them, I think they would be less dry than following this process - maybe the flavour is different too? Will try this next time I pick some. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to try sun drying – I just wasn't patient enough for this first little crop. I do wonder if the flavour changes ... hmm.

      Delete
  2. this is lovely. i would have never thought to do this myself. have a happy weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even just reading the word 'chamomile' makes me feel calmer. This little flower and its tea is heaven sent! Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made my own tea, sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. home grown and dried chamomile? you clever clogs, you! :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of clever ... I didn't mention I burnt the first batch in my impatience!

      Delete