Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Smith girls



A favourite pastime of mine is to look through old family photos.

Here are the Smith girls. My great-great Aunts. Pictured with local boys, two of whom became future husbands. I don't know all their names or who is who, but there is a Kitty, a Lulu, a Lil (in the middle) and a Nell. Eating watermelon at Elfern, Dumaresq Island, Cundletown, NSW, early 1900's.

This photo reminds me of Summer, which is just around the corner.

Now, speaking of Summer. For me, Summer will always bring Christmas, and to that end, I have decided to join in on a handmade ornament swap, hosted by Christina Lowry. I've never done anything like this before and I find the prospect incredibly exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing who I get paired with and deciding what to make. It is open to bloggers and non-bloggers, national and international. Sign ups close on the 21st of October. Come join in.


9 comments:

  1. me too! i love looking at old photos. they look like a fun bunch. i'm looking forward to the ornament swap too, madly pinning ideas ;)sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

      Delete
  2. That photo is wonderful! I love looking carefully at each expression and pose; and the watermelon speaks of summertime indeed!

    p.s. on a cold, rainy autumn's day like today, this warms up my bones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful, such a happy, almost candid photo.

      Delete
  3. first of all, those pictures are so fun. black and whites, eating watermelon :) and secondly, i'm definitely going to join in on the ornament swap! what a great idea. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love those pictures. so nice that you have these to look back on. isn't there day wear so different from today!! i too have joined in with christina. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. If it is Summer those guys must be boiling, no thongs and shorts there!

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing the ornament swap-- I joined it-- adds a fun giddiness to an already fantastic holiday season!

    ReplyDelete