Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oscar's Space

Oscar card made by my mum, square with eyes by my lil sis Tess. 

Rainbow strip dolls quilt made many years ago by Tess

Crochet blanket a gift from his bisabuela for when he gets his big boy bed

He colour codes his cars to match the rug, clever huh?

Oscar LOVES his room. I love his room. I love that he loves his room.

His favourite thing about his space? The pink walls, of course!

My favourite thing about his space? The secondhand rainbow ikea rug. It is wool. It is lush. It is perfect for playing.

The downfall of his room is that the window looks directly into the neighbours' main bedroom. I'm yet to hang his blind. (I know, I'm a bit slow). I'm also trying to come up with a few other solutions to promote privacy but not block light. I've pinned this or this for possible future projects. My clever aunt suggested a window box.

In truthfulness, the whole space, not yet properly arranged is about to be rearranged. Oscar is still in his cot, but it is time to pass it onto Nora. A moment I'm avoiding. Once the bed is in, then I will hang some pictures and find some shelving for books and his beloved cars.

Have you had to transition a toddler from a cot? If so, please tell me it isn't too difficult!

Also if anyone has a window box, I'd love any advice.

10 comments:

  1. such a beautiful and colourful room, i especially love the colour coding on the rug, a little one after my own heart (i colour code my fabric and my books)xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing colour coded fabric and books.

      Delete
  2. I love Oscar's room. That pink reminds me of a marshmallow. I can see cars racing up and down his stripey rug. And I reckon he'll sleep like a baby under his grandma's quilt in his big boy's bed. Don't worry about it too much Imogen, he could (and probably will) surprise you and take to it without any fuss. Mine did (although they still pop into my bed when their Dad's away and they're teenagers!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd love to hear that his walls remind you of marshmellows. Pink marshmellows are his all time favourite thing. He has had meltdowns in cafés over them.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely room. Really, I love the mix of colours and treasures thrifted, handmade, bought. I think children (regardless of gender) need all colours in their room and all manner of interesting things to see and do! I especially like the stripe rug and dinosaur on rainbow quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely room .... Oscar is a lucky little boy ... and the rug is gorgeous ... what a lucky find ... I moved my two boys into big boy beds with not much issue ... they feel proud to be bigger ... I think this helps ... I'm getting prepared to move my little girl into her new bed ... the plan is sometime before Christmas ... fingers crossed it goes as smoothly ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved to hear all went well. I probably stop putting it off and just do it! Best of luck with your daughter.

      Delete
  5. Such a perfect little space.

    http://tinydais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your concern over the cot transition. I was very worried about that too. I made a big deal about Chloe being a BIG girl and used a reward chart initially. She transitioned fairly well. She never got out of bed or anything. Then after a few weeks she becasme scared of the dark and she used to cry if I wasn't in the room. Things went awry for a few months but have settled down now. I do lay with her until she sleeps because I couldn't stand her crying for me. Initially it was for up to an hour, which drove me nuts but now she sleeps fairly quickly. I figure 10-20 minutes of my day is a small sacrifice for her to go to sleep peacefully. Kids are only little for such a short time. That may not work with two kids though. You will find your own rhythm. Good luck with it all. I'm sure it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi, a reward chart may be a good idea.

      We took the side off his cot the other day, then chickened out and put it back on. Luckily we've just been lent a cot by for Nora though and I'm feeling better that I don't have to rush it.

      I can imagine the patience it takes to lie with your child, when in the back of your head you're thinking about all the things you need to do before bed. So lovely that you relax and simply enjoy your time with your Chloe. Im x

      Delete