Sunday, September 9, 2012

Embroidering hearts V




I went to my mum's place the other day, with the idea that I would finish Nora's hearts. I would raid her wonderful fabric collection and borrow her sewing machine and whip them up in no time flat.

In reality I managed to get four of the nine hearts ready to be stuffed. It is funny how once you have children, something that would normally only take an afternoon, becomes a month long saga. I'm learning to enjoy all the interruptions, really I am. The stopping to run on the grass. It is a slow process now, creating, my mind is twenty steps ahead, already thinking of all the possibilities for the next project.

Hope you've all had a lovely weekend.

ps I'm no embroidery purist. I know the backs are a complete mess! Also the Prints Charming kit did come with the most beautiful quality striped fabric, but I'm a sucker for rifling through piles of fabric and choosing my own. 

pps The heart in the top two photos was the first one I embroidered and is my absolute favourite.

8 comments:

  1. I love your hearts ... they are so beautiful ... you have inspired me to try something like this ... thank you :) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please do show when you're ready. Im x

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful- I love seeing them too. Hope you are well, Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. seeing the back of the work is my favorite! I giggled at the "embroidery purist" bit-- I too have incredibly messy backs to my embroidery work and old ladies (who immediately turn the piece over to inspect once confronted with my work) always scoff at the messiness of it. But jeesh, it's the back! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire people that keep their backs all neat and I start off with the best of intentions. Somehow they always end up looking like a tangled mess. Exactly, 'jeesh, it's the back!' :)

      Delete
  4. they are so simply stunning, i especially love the one that is being held up to the light, ah so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. now this is a cool project! hi! i found you via the comments in the beetleshack. it's nice to meet another embroidererer. er. i think i'm going to enjoy your lovely blog :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it so remarkable how coloured thread embroidered onto fabric can bring so much joy to look at as these hearts you have created do! They really are so beautiful and yes, completing a project while being a parent requires lots of surrendering to the fact there will be many stops and starts before it is complete. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete