Thursday, August 16, 2012

Raspberry and Pear Cake








This week on Tuesday I invaded my sister's house (while she was at work) and baked Oscar's birthday cake. Beautiful house, no? I get serious stained glass window envy.

Anyway, to finish off what has been a week long celebration of Oscar, (both online and off), I thought I should share the recipe I used to make his birthday cake. I was given this recipe by my Aunt Louise (who tells me she found it somewhere online ... provenance now unknown). It was delicious and due to all the fruit (and butter) wonderfully moist. I served it with fresh cream.


Raspberry and Pear Cake
180g softened BUTTER
180g SUGAR
2 EGGS
200g SELF RAISING FLOUR
100g ALMOND MEAL
2 tbs MILK
2 ripe PEARS, peeled, cored and chopped into little bits (I didn't have the forethought to buy pears and leave them to ripen, so I used canned)
250g fresh or frozen RASPBERRIES (I used frozen, as they aren't in season)


Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. (If fan-forced at 150C)
Line 20cm springform pan with baking paper.

Cream butter and sugar thoroughly and add eggs and beat again.

Put mixer on low, and gradually add mixed flour and almond meal. It will become very thick. Add milk and mix thoroughly.

Remove from mixer and gradually add chopped pears by hand.
Add frozen raspberries, making sure they don't stick together. (Don't let them defrost or it goes mushy).

Place mix into prepared cake tin and smooth over the top with a knife.

Put the cake in the oven and bake for approx 1 hour and 15mins. Then test. If it starts to burn on the edges but is not cooked properly in the centre, just turn off the oven and leave the cake in for another half hour or so.

Or if using fan forced approx 1 hour and then test. And if mostly cooked turn off the oven and leave it.

Remove from pan when cool.

7 comments:

  1. aww thank you for your kind comment, at least I have a lot of time to sit and look at lovely pictures like these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely home! what a scrumptious sounding cake, must try it! Also, violets are my favourite flower and seeing these makes me so glad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. coming back with a cup of tea to read more! lovely photographs too...my Mum always described violets as having little 'faces' x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, this sounds divine. Must try this one. I think my littlies will devour it too.
    Love that violet shot.
    x
    http://blog.scissorspaperrockdesigns.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely Oscar wouldn't even touch the cake, he prefers his berries fresh. Which was fine with me, because it meant more for me - but I hope you have better success with your littlies.

      Delete
  5. Delicious. I'm bookmarking this one for a special occasion! x

    PS. Happy birthday to Oscar

    ReplyDelete
  6. MOST beautiful house. geeezzzzzzzz.

    xo em

    ReplyDelete